Is it legal for employers to do the lie detector test before employment? The answer to the question is yes. The tests should be conducted in a proper way, and their validation is required. The employers can check the honesty of the applicants through the lie-detector tests. All the applicants should be provided non-discriminatory tests before providing them the employment letter. The employers are taking the test at the time of –
- The hiring of the employee for employment.
- During the employment, for checking the honesty of the employees.
The tests before the employment are known as the pre-employment lie detector tests. The abilities and skills of the person for employment can be checked through the tests. It is important for an employer to gather the personal information of the applicant. The authorization has not provided legality to conducting the lie detector tests before the employment of a person.
The legality of the tests for the applicants
For the legality of the test, there should be the performance of the tests through the professionals in private enterprises. Government employers are restricted from performing the tests. The accuracy of the qualifications can be checked through the pre-employment lie detector tests. The applicants above forty years of age are excluded from the list. The applicant can be of a domestic country or from other countries. There should be no separate rules for them. The employment to the person should be as per the need of the applicant. The designation of the person should be valid as per the skills and abilities of the person.
The applicant would not be able to hide anything from the employer. The background of the applicant will be known to the employer. If there will be any criminal history, then it will come in notice of the employer. The thefts in the company will be reduced through the pre-employment lie detector tests. The internal investigation of the company will be reduced through pre-employment tests. If the person will show any wrong qualification, then it will be reflected in the lie detector test. The applicant will be rejected for the designation for employment.
The smooth functioning of the business
There are many instances in which any employee conspires against the other one. One of the employees brings a complaint against the employer for any theft in the company. The pre-employment test will prohibit the employer from doing discrimination in the firing process. The background of the employees will be already known to the employer. Through the lie detector test, the reality of the employee will be cleared to the employer. There will be no employee with a criminal background in the company. The functioning of the business will be smooth and effective. There will be no fear of theft and distrust in the company. The regulations of the company should be strict for performing the tests.
Potential benefits of the pre-employment lie detector tests
The lie detector tests are conducted for uncovering the truth about the qualifications and background of the applicant. The applicant will not be able to hide anything from the employer. Some of the potential benefits of conducting the test before employment are discussed below –
- Keeping the reputation – The lie detector test will help in uncovering the truth behind the qualifications of the applicant. The employer or job provider will be able to keep the reputation of the business in the market. There will be a smooth functioning of the business. The percentage of theft will be reduced in the company. The atmosphere will be favorable for the working of the employees. The security of the business will be under the control of the employer.
- Honesty in the working – The lie detector test will be beneficial for checking the honesty of the applicant. The employer can build their trust over the employees. The working of the employees towards the company will be excellent. The personal information of the person will be uncovered to the employer. The documents of the business will not be disclosed to the competitive company.
- Background of the applicant – Through the lie detector test, the background of the person will be known to the employer. The criminal record of the applicant will be familiar to the employer. The investigation of the applicant can be done through the employer. The lie detector will play an important role in the detection of fraud among the applicants. The collected data will be beneficial for the employer.
- Potential qualifications – Some of the applicants are showing the false documents for employment letter in the company. The accuracy of the qualifications of the person can be known to the employer through the lie detector test. If there is furnishing of the wrong qualifications, then the testing will uncover the truth. It will assist the employer in providing the designation as per the qualification of the person. The permission of the authorization will be required to take a lie detector test.
- Reducing theft – The criminal background of the person will be uncovered through the lie detector tests. It will reduce theft in the business. The environment of the business will remain good and positive for the working of the employees. There will be no complaint about any mishappening in the business. The employment will be provided to the educated employees. All the employees and employers will work with harmony in the office.
From the above-stated points, it is cleared that the lie detector test will be beneficial in the pre-employment of the applicants. It will reduce theft and place peace in the company. The working of the business will be smooth without any criminal activity in the office. Though the authorities are not providing legality to the test, the private employers are conducting them for the safe environment in the company. It is advised to the conductor of the lie detector test not solely to rely on it.