There are lots of places where you can buy your tub. You can choose from different great websites such as steamshowerstore.co.uk or go to your favorite home essentials store. One thing to remember when buying your tub is to take the material of what it is made of into great consideration. Having enough knowledge about the material it comes in will help you identify its pros and cons and the ways to take good care of it.
Bathtubs do not come cheap so it is very important to take good care of it and make it last for a really long time. So, if you are looking to buy a new tub, here’s the ultimate guide to the different types of bathtub material and the corresponding advantages and disadvantages.
First and foremost is wood. Most people choose to customize a special kind of tub made with different types of wood. Here are its advantages and disadvantages.
- Very aesthetically pleasing and luxurious
- The wood makes it feel very natural and that you are one with nature
- The wood will tear in the long run because of its constant contact with water.
- The customized bathtub will also come with other very specific and sometimes hassle customizations in the bathroom in terms of size, space, and framing. Not to mention, you have to be considerate of the water flow of the tub as well and make sure that there are no leaks.
- It will definitely not come cheap with all the aforementioned customizations.
- You will experience problems with it in the future due to overuse and under use.
Next is the stone resin material. Manufacturers use this material to make it look the tub is made out of natural stone. Its advantages and disadvantages are as follows:
- Even with constant water use, the stone resin will not fade. This is possible because the stone resin is a non-porous material. This means that it will not easily absorb water.
- The material will make it possible for the tub to last you for a very long time. Plus, it doesn’t require constant attention and repair.
- People tend to invest in stone resin because it is a very durable material and can withstand heavy pressure.
- Cleaning a stone resin tub is very easy to do.
- Overall, a really good investment in the long run.
- It can be very expensive.
Another tub material to be discussed is acrylic. It is a tub material with combined materials of as petrochemicals, stabilizers, resins, fillers, and appropriate dye. After heated, it is contained in fiberglass to form the bathtub. Here are its advantages and disadvantages:
- Also a non-porous material like stone resin. Again, it does not absorb water easily so it will not tear even after a very long time.
- Retains water heat.
- Prone to scratches because it is less stable.
- Can also be a very expensive option.
You can also opt to go for a bathtub made out of fiberglass. A fiberglass tub has a coated layer of gel coat resin on the outside. Continue reading to find out its advantages and disadvantages:
- Fiberglass is among one of the most affordable materials for a bathtub. Perfect for those working around a very tight budget.
- Moreover, fiberglass is lightweight. Thus, it allows for easier construction and installation.
- Repairs can easily be done on the damages incurred in overtime.
- Among all the other tub materials in the market today, fiberglass is considered the most brittle of them all.
- Unlike stone resin and acrylic, fiberglass is porous in nature. This means it will wear down quicker because it absorbs water and the chances of cracking are very high.
- The color and finish on this one will also not last very long because of regular cleaning. This means that you will have to retouch it from time to time which will cost you a lot of money in the long run.
- Fiberglass is also unstable and has a possibility of flexing.
Cultured marble has become a crowd favorite for people who want to evoke the Roman era. Since crushed marble is made out of crushed limestone and resin, it will definitely give out the aesthetic appeal of being in the old times of gods and goddesses. These are its advantages and disadvantages:
- It gives off a very natural and easy aesthetic. This makes it very appealing to some people.
- Can retain heat from the water temperature.
- You can choose from its various shapes, color, and sizes. You can easily customize this to get the look that you exactly want to go for.
- Does not easily scratch.
- Very easy to repair and clean with products that you use every day such as car wax.
- Marble is very heavy to work with.
- Can be very expensive
- Needs regular cleaning and maintenance